If you are smelling these gases, you are inhaling the compounds while at the same time, possibly mold spores themselves. These mold compounds, called mycotoxins, can be toxic. The mold spores and the mycotoxins can cause a wide range of medical problems such as difficulty breathing, sinus infections, bronchitis, or migraine headaches. The smells are unpleasant but the potential health risks are the greater concerns.
The only real way to eliminate the musty smell is to remove the mold. Covering up the odors with air fresheners, scented candles, or potpourri is only a temporary solution and does nothing to eliminate the health risks.
At Dragon Restoration, we have more than 36 years of experience removing mold from Miami Valley homes and businesses. Below is a testimonial from Ann, a mother that called us when her son developed a mysterious rash a few months after the family moved into a new home:
My 2 1/2 yr. old son developed a rash, located around his lung area, one month after moving. He was diagnosed as having an allergic reaction. Shortly after, mold was discovered in our basement. Dragon removed the mold & cleaned the area. In less than 2 weeks my son’s rash completely disappeared & has not returned.