The potato chip was invented in 1853 and has been America's number one snack food for more than 50 years. It is said that an unhappy customer at a restaurant in Saratoga Springs, NY kept returning his fried potatoes to the chef, requesting they be prepared much thinner. The chef sliced them so thin that they could not be eaten with a fork. Thus was born the potato chip.
Potato Chip Facts
2. The potato chip industry in the US employs around 60,000 people.
3. It takes only 5-6 potatoes to make an average size bag of potato chips.
4. In the UK, potato chips, called “crisps”, are found in 70% of school kids’ lunch boxes.
5. In the UK, people eat an average of one ton of potato chips every three minutes.
6. The inventor of the Pringles can, Fredric J. Baur, after his death, was cremated and his ashes were buried in a Pringles can.
7. In the US, the most popular potato chip flavors are regular, barbecue, and sour cream & onion
8. Potato chips were at one time served as a dessert, hot and salted, in a napkin.
9. In two hours, a factory can make 7,000 pounds of potato chips.