2. Do not make permanent repairs until you have documented the damage. After documenting the damage with photos or videos, do what you must to limit any further damage, such as hiring a professional water damage company like Dragon Restoration to mitigate the loss by removing the water and drying your home.
3. Don’t feel forced to use a contractor your insurance company recommends. They are recommended for a reason, which is to protect the insurance company, not you. Insurance companies make their recommendations based solely on cost, not quality. It’s your property and you should control who does the work and control the quality of the work.
4. Don’t allow the insurance adjuster to unfairly depreciate the amount of your claim. Depreciation is always negotiable. If you own a $1000 sofa that’s in good condition and the adjuster only wants to give you $500 because it is 3 years old, 50% is too much depreciation. The standard is only about 15%, in which case you would receive $850.
5. Don’t pack out your belongings without a detailed list of what is being packed out. Also consider whether or not it might be cheaper and more beneficial to you to just replace the items rather that have them cleaned. The cost of cleaning and restoring may subtract from the total dollar benefits you may be entitled to.
6. The total claim does not have to be settled before any money is paid out to you. Advance payments could help you to get the repair process started sooner and keep you from heavy out-of-pocket expenses.
7. Keep all receipts, take extensive photographs and keep notes or record all conversations with your insurance company.
Be proactive, be patient and remember that filing an insurance claim is a business transaction with a for-profit company. If you feel like you aren’t being offered a fair settlement, consider seeking outside help - a public adjuster or your state’s department of insurance. With more than 36 years of putting our customers first, we can help you restore your home and offer you tips to point you in the right direction with your insurance claim. Call us, Dragon Restoration, at (937) 371-3416.