A wet crawlspace in the Miami Valley can lead to a variety of safety and health issues for you and your home. Wet crawlspaces can be a breeding ground for mold, dry rot, bacteria, viruses, and even insect infestations. To reduce the chances of one of these problems it is important to maintain a level of dryness in your crawlspace. If your crawlspace is damp or contains standing water the following tips will prove useful:
2. Insulate water pipes. Water lines running through the crawlspace need to be insulated, especially the cold water lines as these may condensate during hot and humid months.
3. Check grading, drainage, gutters and downspouts. It is critical that all water runoff, whether it originates from the ground or the roof, be directed away from your foundation.
4. Wet or damp materials should be removed. Remove all debris. If insulation or insulation backing is wet, it should also be removed and replaced.
5. Install a sump pump. This may or may not be required depending on your individual crawlspace problem. If there always seems to be standing water or puddles of water, a sump pump should be professionally installed to help constantly remove any water.
6. Install gravel and a vapor barrier. Gravel will help the water to move toward the lowest point where it can be pumped out. A vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) should be installed on top of the gravel to help prevent moisture from being absorbed by structural components such as joists and subflooring.
7. Add a crawlspace dehumidifier. If your crawlspace is small, a standard dehumidifier will work just fine. If your crawlspace is larger, a more robust dehumidifier may be required. Therma-Stor is the company I would recommend and their Santa Fe line of crawlspace dehumidifiers.
If you have a wet or damp crawlspace, or discover standing water in it, Dragon Restoration can assist you in removing excess moisture and completely drying out your crawlspace. We have been helping Miami Valley home and business owners with water-damage problems since 1999.
Call Dragon Restoration at (937) 371-3416 for a
NO COST – NO OBLIGATION Inspection