Most insurance companies will consider this type of water damage to be flooding, which probably will not be covered under the standard homeowner’s insurance policy. Most of the time, water coming from outside the home is considered to be the result of a flood.
One more thought to keep in mind. If any substantial rainfall occurs during a period of melting, it can cause an increase in the rate of snow melting, increasing the chance of flooding.
If Flooding Is Imminent
- Clear drains, gutters and downspouts of debris.
- Move possibly at risk furniture or electronics off of the floor, particularly in basements or 1st floor levels.
- Roll up area rugs and store them up higher off of floors.
- Check sump pumps to ensure they are working properly.
- Shut off electricity to appliances such as washers, dryers, freezers, etc.
- Consider installing backflow valves, which are designed to prevent sewers from backing up into your home.